- 200g risotto rice
To create an authentic creamy Italian risotto, the use of specialist rice is imperative. It…
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 900ml low-salt chicken stock (we used gluten-free Kallo, see tips below)
- 120g frozen peas
A type of legume, peas grow inside long, plump pods. As is the case with all types of legume,…
- 1 large courgette, diced (see tips below)
The courgette is a variety of cucurtbit, which means it’s from the same family as cucumber,…
- 50g grated medium or mature cheddar, plus extra to serve
Once cheddar was ‘Cheddar’, a large, hard-pressed barrel of cheese made by a particular…
- 140g cooked prawns (or chicken)
There are thousands of different species of prawn, but tiger, king and North Atlantic are the…
- Put the rice, garlic and spring onions into a large microwaveable bowl, then pour in 400ml stock. Cover with cling film and microwave on High for 10 mins. Stir the rice, then add another 250ml of the remaining stock, cover and microwave on High again for 3 mins.
- Stir the rice again, then add the frozen peas, courgette and the rest of the stock. Cover and microwave on the same setting for a further 8 mins. Stir in the cheese and prawns (or chicken if you prefer), then leave the risotto to stand for 2 mins. Scatter with more cheese and serve.