- 1 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It’s…
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 2 carrots, trimmed and finely chopped
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
Rosemary’s intense, fragrant aroma has traditionally been paired with lamb, chicken and game…
- 500g beef mince
For the bolognese sauce
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- small pack basil, leaves picked, ¾ finely chopped and the rest left whole for garnish
Most closely associated with Mediterranean cooking but also very prevalent in Asian food, the…
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Closely related to marjoram, of which it is the wild equivalent, oregano has a coarser, more…
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 125ml red wine
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
To season and serve
- 75g parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
Parmesan is a straw-coloured hard cheese with a natural yellow rind and rich, fruity flavour. It…
- 400g spaghetti
- crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add 4 finely chopped bacon rashers and fry for 10 mins until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the heat and add the 2 onions, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 2 garlic cloves and the leaves from 2-3 sprigs rosemary, all finely chopped, then fry for 10 mins. Stir the veg often until it softens.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add 500g beef mince and cook stirring for 3-4 mins until the meat is browned all over.
- Add 2 tins plum tomatoes, the finely chopped leaves from ¾ small pack basil, 1 tsp dried oregano, 2 bay leaves, 2 tbsp tomato purée, 1 beef stock cube, 1 deseeded and finely chopped red chilli (if using), 125ml red wine and 6 halved cherry tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the plum tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hr 15 mins stirring occasionally, until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- Add the 75g grated parmesan, check the seasoning and stir.
- When the bolognese is nearly finished, cook 400g spaghetti following the pack instructions.
- Drain the spaghetti and stir into the bolognese sauce. Serve with more grated parmesan, the remaining basil leaves and crusty bread, if you like.