- 1 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It’s…
- 2 onions, chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves, roughly chopped
This popular herb grows in Europe, especially the Mediterranean, and is a member of the mint…
- 1.4l chicken stock
- 300g leftover roast chicken, shredded and skin removed
Chicken’s many plus points – its versatility, as well as the ease and speed with which it…
- 200g frozen peas
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- squeeze lemon juice
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add 2 chopped onions, 3 chopped medium carrots and 1 tbsp roughly chopped thyme leaves, then gently fry for 15 mins.
- Stir in 1.4l chicken stock, bring to a boil, cover, then simmer for 10 mins.
- Add 300g shredded leftover roast chicken, remove half the mixture, then purée with a stick blender.
- Tip back into the pan with the rest of the soup, 200g frozen peas and seasoning, then simmer for 5 mins until hot through.
- Mix 3 tbsp Greek yogurt,1 crushed garlic clove and a squeeze lemon juice, swirl into the soup in bowls, then serve.
- If you want to use a slow cooker, gently fry 2 chopped onions, 3 chopped medium carrots and1 tbsp roughly chopped thyme leaves for 15 mins then tip them with the veg into your slow cooker with 1 litre stock. If you’re using a chicken carcass, add it now.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 hours on High until the veg is tender. If you used a carcass remove it now, shredding any remaining chicken from the bones.
- Stir back into the soup, or add 300g shredded leftover roast chicken now, plus 200g frozen peas.
- Cook for 30 mins more. Remove half the mixture and purée with a stick blender, then serve as above. http://mizan.fotoclubby.com