- 6 medium Maris Piper potatoes
The world’s favourite root vegetable, the potato comes in innumerable varieties. A member of…
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It’s…
- 200g unsalted butter, cubed
Butter is made when lactic-acid producing bacteria are added to cream and churned to make an…
- 4 large garlic cloves, bashed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
Rosemary’s intense, fragrant aroma has traditionally been paired with lamb, chicken and game…
- 2 sprigs thyme
This popular herb grows in Europe, especially the Mediterranean, and is a member of the mint…
- 200ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Slice the ends off the potatoes so they lay flat on either side.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium-low heat. When hot, add the potatoes cut-side down. Fry for 5-7 mins, or until deep golden brown, then flip and fry on the other side. Add the butter to the pan to melt.
- Scatter the garlic and herbs around the potatoes and season well. Carefully pour the stock around the veg, being aware of any hot butter that may splash out. Cover and simmer gently for 25-30 mins, or until the potatoes are tender, then serve.