You can either make your own BBQ sauce for this recipe (my favorite is this Bourbon BBQ Sauce) or you can just use your favorite jarred sauce.
- One 3-pound chuck roast, rinsed and dried
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes (preferably plum tomatoes)
- 1 18-ounce bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (or 2 1/4 cups of your favorite homemade barbecue sauce)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 sandwich or hamburger buns
1 Make sauce with onions, tomatoes, BBQ sauce: In a large, heavy pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, roughly chopping them in the pot. Add the barbecue sauce, increase heat to medium high and simmer for 10 minutes.
2 Add the beef roast, simmer on low for 3 hours: Add the chuck roast. Bring to a low simmer, cover and slow cook until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 hours.
3 Separate meat into small pieces: Remove the meat from the pot. Use a fork and knife to separate the roast into small pieces. Set aside.
4 Reduce liquid in sauce: Increase the heat on the pot to medium/medium-high, uncover, and reduce the liquid until thick. Stir often to prevent burning.
5 Return meat to sauce: Return the meat to the liquid in the pan. Warm both thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on buns.